Wednesday, January 6, 2016

https://youtu.be/wmRYKrfQjuk
Plywood flooring? Check out this inexpensive alternative to traditional wood flooring that you can do for less than half the cost. Although plywood flooring is not as durable as a solid wood floor it is by far less expensive and with the proper treatment can last many many years in great condition.


I started this project in order to give some relief to my middle daughter who suffers from allergies and asthma. The carpet was old and when you walk on carpet, no matter how clean you think you get it, it kicks up dust and allergens. It was time for something different for her. Although this was a priority we didn't have the  money in the budget for a new hardwood floor and after looking into other options (reclaimed wood, laminates, etc.) we decided to give the plywood flooring a try. I have seen a few other videos and posts around on the net and it seems most have pretty good results.



So, with a budget in mind I was off to our local building store (you guess which one). Our room was 165 square feet so I needed to get about six sheets of plywood to cover the area. That is based on 32 square feet per sheet with a little bit extra. I ended up going with a thicker plywood than I had originally thought because I really liked how flat the sheets laid and also for long term durability. I chose 23/32" pine sanded plywood for $29.98 per sheet. There are lots of choices here and you can go with a hardwood plywood or a thinner softwood to cut cost even further but I would recommend spending the extra money and at least getting the sanded ply that is about 3/4" thick.



Once I had the plywood chosen I loaded up with the help of some of the associates there and asked if they could hook me up and cut some of the plywood for me. After all, who wants to cut 6 sheets of plywood into stripes:) I was going for 8" planks since this divided evenly from 32 and it seemed like a good size for that farmhouse look. They said they could cut it into 16" stripes for me but no less due to safety concerns. ( I went back for more on a second trip and they did cut it down to 8" except for the last cut on each piece of plywood).

Back home I had already removed that nasty carpet and padding and also took out the moldings along the floor. I then laid down some roofing paper or tar paper that I had left over from another project to cover the subfloor. I used a staple gun to secure it to the floor. This will provide a sound barrier and also liquid barrier for the OSB subfloor below.




Out in the garage I used my $5 super fancy table saw to rip the boards that were not cut at the store into 8" strips. I then carried them inside and placed them in the room for a day or so to acclimate to the humidity and temps inside.


I wanted each plank to be a bit pronounced from it's neighbor and my wife came up with the idea of rounding the edges. The thought of rounding the edges of all of those planks was a bit overwhelming at first but it actually didn't take that long at all. I made a quick sanding block from a piece of 2X4 and sandpaper and quickly knocked the edge off of all of the top edges. I went through first and picked out the best sides and stacked them accordingly to make things easier.



 Now the fun part, nailing! I started by using a chalk line to mark a line long ways down the room at close to the middle of the floor. This gave mea  good starting point to work outward in both directions with the planks. I didn't want to just start on one side and work all the way across fearing that I might be off by too much for the molding to cover once I reached the other side. I am using a pneumatic brad nailer to secure the planks with 1 1/4" nails.




I chose to use a random pattern with everything. So no two seams will line up and no two nails are right next to each other. This was easiest to layout, looks the nicest, and has the least amount of waste.


I did not leave any gaps between boards either on the sides or at the ends. Most of this wood is fairly "wet" still and will shrink a bit. Also, plywood by design does not expand and contract much vertically so I am hoping for no real expansion and contraction issues. Only time will tell and I will keep you updated on that.



 I couldn't be happier with the first stage of this process, it looks like a real old school farmhouse floor. The boards lay nice and flat and the sanded edges make them look like hardwood planks. In the next phase I will go through sanding and finishing the flooring to give them a classic hardwood look. Stay tuned for that article and video soon. Thanks for checking it out!



 Check out the full video of this project here


You can also  follow us on....

41 comments :

  1. This is a win-win. You get an unmistakable floor, and you help spare a woods. More established wood will have a straighter, more tightly grain.engineered wood flooring Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb way of explaining, and great blog to get wonderful information.Epoxy flooring company manhattan

      Delete
  2. Applause for the well-written blog post! Yes, I agree with you about wood flooring is the much better option than plywood as it is long lasting, durable and less expensive. Thanks for sharing and keep posting such kind of blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Post! Thanks for sharing such a great information, Keep up good the work. Get best Hardwood Flooring in Cochrane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such a great content. This is really helpful. Keep up the good work. Vinyl Flooring Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information
    Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  6. The paste down strategy for laying hardwood floors is one of the first techniques for introducing hardwood flooring. quartz countertops in Leawood ks

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the homes had quite recently been sheeted and was prepared for the second floor confining divider design. The confining foreman chose not to chip away at that home, until the point when the wood makers delegate turned out to investigate the compressed wood. I find a very good website for the commercial flooring contractor , If you want you can visit this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your blog. Great article. It's most evident, people should learn before they are able to Ipe Woods USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. CutTheWood.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woodworking Middle East: An absolute must for those who are part of this growing industry The Middle East woodworking industry, as a consequence of the massive growth in the region's construction sector, is expanding at a pace unheard of before.https://cutthewood.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post. PREMIER Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  12. An appropriate "work-triangle" is intended to decrease unnecessary advances while cooking in the kitchen. kitchen gadget

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look sawfinder thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. This article is an appealing wealth of useful informative that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. I know it very well that if anyone visits your blog, then he/she will surely revisit it again. Installation

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anyway, a top quality oak designed flooring will appear to be identical however will it in reality keep going as long?. To what extent a floor will last is for the most part down to something many refer to as its 'wear layer'.hardwood flooring Marietta

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look sawfinder.com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work!
    Waterproof Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice article, Which you have shared here about the plywood flooring. Your article is very informative and useful to know more about the benefits of plywood flooring. tnkwood is the best Plywood Wholesaler In Thailand where you can buy plywood products at the affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing a bunch of this quality contents, I have bookmarked your blog. Please also explore advice from my site. I will be back for more quality contents. Falso suelo

    ReplyDelete
  21. The good news is that it could probably be made for you, but before you go a long ways down the path of choosing which floor you want and requesting a display room full of samples, ask about some price ranges.timber flooring

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing work on the writer's part and This blog has a positive and excited outcome.
    southend roofing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cleaning Linoleum flooring won't clean the shading out of the floor and accordingly your floor will hold the shading bolted inside keeping its lively search for more. timber flooring lower north shore

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Polished Concrete

    ReplyDelete
  25. For instance, if the dampness substance of the subfloor is 12% and the hardwood flooring is 9% there is a 3% contrast between the two wood items, which is in the passable resilience of establishment.https://www.acetimberfloors.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  26. Joseph Obi | Alternative Medicine Professor | Doctor Obi | Alternative Health Professor | Dr Obi | Alternative Healthcare Professor | Joseph Chikelue Obi Alternative Medicine Professor

    ReplyDelete
  27. The best woodworking plans will tell you what materials and tools you need, as well as how to go about constructing your project (complete with diagrams) step by step.Dacor, Viking, Wolf, KitchenAid, Ovens Repair in SANTA ANA

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. flooring contractor los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  29. I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog. Branson leisure is one of the leading and renowned street furniture suppliers. Visit here leisure bench

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am just want to say thanks for sharing the informative blog. Take a look at awofficefurniture.com for new and used office furniture, office chairs, cubicles, and other office furniture needs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... Retin A kaufen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. https://cbd-ratgeberportal.de/cbd-liquid

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. chicago med season 5

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really appreciate this post thank you for sharing these type of posts. we provide vinyl flooring price singapore at affordable prices. for more info visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dialing the secret number of KBC is no matter now. https://kbcofficialwinner.com/kbc-head-office-number-mumbai-kbc-helpline/ provides you easiness to dial it instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Excellent data almost the domestic. My father bought an unused house for us. So presently he is looking for a great house painter so that he can appropriately plan his dream house. I was searching Exterior house Painters near me New Orleans. Since I like their work so much. They are exceptionally proficient.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Plywood I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. dotcom secrets pdf

    ReplyDelete