Sunday, April 17, 2016


When we bought the house we live in now, I said I would never move again.  Ever.  I said I was going to die here.  Heck, we even have a cemetery behind our property.  I was sure I was going to be buried here.  But that was when we were both working two fuller than full-time jobs.  Back when we ate out at least three times a week and thought Hamburger Helper was a home cooked meal.  Before chickens.  Before gardening, composting and bread baking.  Before aquaponics.  Before the ache of wanting more land, more chickens, and milk goats.


We have a great house, we really do.  It needs a minor repair here and there, but it's structurally sound, we have great neighbors and a good size yard for a subdivision (.7 acres).  It's a five minute drive to work, the school, and the gas station.  It was the perfect house for our situation back when we bought it, but our situation has changed a lot since then and we're feeling the restrictions of our tiny homestead.  We want more land to grow food on and more land to feed & pasture animals on.  We want to build a greenhouse, put up a windmill, and what kind of a homesteader has a tent for a barn? Pitiful.


To find ourselves not knowing if we should move again is not a fun place to be in.  I mean, how do we pass by fruit trees for sale and not buy them?  And how can I even think of renovating our kitchen if we're just going to move?  What about the girls' treehouse we've been promising them?  The stagnation that comes from not knowing is a bit frustrating.

But at this point in time, we just don't have peace about moving yet.  We believe we're right where God wants us, and when He wants us to move, it will be so abundantly clear to us.  "for God is not a God of confusion but of peace" 1 Corinthians 14:33  

15 comments :

  1. We would love to move out to a farm too but at the moment, we believe God has put us in the suburbs for a reason: to promote gardening to suburbanites too! Until they get bitten by the gardening bug and want to explore living a simpler life. Thanks for your website! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so encouraging to hear, thanks, Nicole! We do feel the same and there seem to be endless projects we can do here in our small yard to become even more sustainable, we will stay focused on those things until we feel the time is right. If you ever have a chance, we'd love to see pictures of your yard or a project you've been working on! You can share them with us on our Facebook page or email them at sslfamily5@gmail.com. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. The struggle is real here too!! Stay and pay off our current house (what a blessing g that would be!!) Or move out to the country and likely have a mortgage for a VERY long time (read: forever). Also choosing to stay because we feel we are where God wants us. Apparently he's got a whole tribe of us out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the same situation. Great websites like yours have helped me to be excited about staying. The Dervaes family was my original inspiration. If they can do that on a fifth of an acre, surely I could make half an acre work. Staying small gives me the challenge of being efficient and attractive. I know if I had more than an acre my inner red neck would take over. Also I am not a fan of being in the car. I like being close to church, work, and other activities.
    I don't have a commercial lot next to me though. Any chance they'll put something good like a nursery next to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the new house, and individual offices where we can continue to work on Mysterion, or our own writing online moving quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, talking to her would create even more of a mess, but at least he’s being honest. And honesty looks good on Aiden, a seemingly-silly character who has surprised me with his earnestness. low cost long distance movers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 50 (and 3 weeks) and I'm in the same boat... Do I move to a chunk of land? Where? (Irish and Canadian and British citizenship that's a lot of choice... Too much actually) my house is bought and paid for so I've a limited amount of liquidable cash... Enough for the right house should I ever be pointed into the right direction. Your YouTube videos both inspire me... And make me frustrated with my own itchy feet (more inspire) thank you for sharing your life with me

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really good site post, i am delighted I came across it. I will be back down the track to check out other posts that. Urban Fill NY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched your video on removing rv fridge. Mine isn't as simple n I'm struggling. Can you please help. Thanks. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. هل سبق لك أن حاولت البحث عن شركات التنظيف في الدمام ولا تجد من يستحق هذه الثقة؟ ، الآن لا تقلق لأننا شركة عملاقة تتمتع بخبرة كبيرة في كيفية توفير خدمات التنظيف اللازمة في المنزل ، ولدينا أفضل العمال المدربين على حل جميع المشاكل بسرعة كبيرة
    شركة النجوم لخدمات التنظيف
    شركة تنظيف فلل بالطائف
    شركة تنظيف مجالس بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple suburban life to move and thanks for sharing this information with us.

    ReplyDelete

  11. A guide to farming of different variety , aquaponics ,hydroponics ,kitchen farming , quail farming , floriculture , agroproand many more.

    ReplyDelete